Friday, September 11, 2015

Painting with Clay

I sculpted a clay head using only my painting as a reference. I wanted to explore how painting related to sculpting and how my painting could benefit from a different perspective. I was relieved from the tediousness of mixing subtle values. Instead, I was able to concentrate strictly on the planes of head, mass, proportions and shape relationships–through adding and subtracting the clay. I appreciated being able to touch and feel the thing I was creating. I was able to see the head from all sides while creating it (unlike painting), giving me a dynamic perspective. I could apply the clay or remove it much like I would with paint strokes. The two are similar in this respect. A clear, deliberate and honest stroke must be made. If it is not preserved, much like painting, the life of the sculpture will lose a sense of energy and freshness. A stroke is made with conviction.

No comments:

Post a Comment