Friday, June 21, 2013

Elephant in the Room


A good drawing doesn't necessarily translate to a good painting.
I sometimes marvel at how my final painting looks so much like my initial sketch.  Or in this case, I marvel at how much the the final painting doesn't look at all like the initial sketch.  I marvel at the loss in translation.  Admittedly, I prefer the first quick drawing that I did in pen and ink.  The more I studied the thing before me, the more I understood the physical.  The more I rendered it, the further away I went from the emotional, or my first initial response.

Oil paint isn't always the best medium to use in order to render that thing or idea you want to describe.  Think about what it is you want to describe and how you want to describe it--your motive.  Then choose the appropriate medium that will help best communicate that emotion/idea.  Another example is how a good photograph doesn't necessarily translate to a good painting.  I prefer to work from life as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment